Table of Contents
Eberron, A few important facts.
- Magic is everywhere. The setting contains many wonderous uses of magic. Magic affects the day to day lives of most people on Khorvaire. Minor magic can be seen almost everywhere from the magical lamps that light city streets to the many shops selling useful magical items. More powerful magic is more rare in the setting though.
- Dragons are not common on Khorvaire. The dragons of the setting are plotters and schemers. They watch the world of the lesser races and read the signs of the draconic prophecy. Most dragons live on the continent of Argonnessen to the southeast of Khorvaire.
- The Last War has “ended”. The continent has only recently come out of a long war between the major human nations of Aundiar, Breland, Cyre, Thrane, and Karrnath. The war ended with the Treaty of Thronehold, but the peace is tenuous at best.
- The dragonmarked houses hold great power. The thirteen dragonmarked houses each control a certain kind of business. They are considered neutral in matters of politics. Each house is an extended family that bears a certain dragonmark. Dragonmarks are patterns that appear on an individual’s skin at birth. As a person grows, the marks may grow more powerful. The marks range from minor marks with weak accompanying powers to very powerful marks. Some believe the dragonmarks play a role in the Draconic Prophecy.
- The Day of Mourning changed the nation of Cyre. In a single day, the entire nation of Cyre was wiped out in a massive magical explosion. The devastation encompasses all lands within the borders of Cyre. The border of the Mournlands is marked by a wall of unnatural fog that will not dissipate. Years after the Day of Mourning, the bodies of the citizens of Cyre refuse to decompose. Healing magic does not work in the Mournlands.
Eberron’s Setting and Creation
The Eberron setting primarily takes place in Khorvaire, a continent that was ruled by goblinoids of Dhakaan in ancient times. Humans are now the most populous race in Khorvaire, living primarily in the area known as the Five Nations. Southeast is the small continent of Aerenal, ruled by elves. Due south is the jungle continent of Xen’drik, once ruled by an empire of giants that collapsed, now largely wilderness, with some areas under tribal dominion of the drow. Frostfell is an unexplored land of ice in the north. The other two main continents are Sarlona (a continent ruled by quori, creatures from the Region of Dreams) and Argonnessen (a continent inhabited by dragons). The world of Eberron has twelve moons; some sages believe there is a thirteenth moon that has vanished or is invisible to the naked eye.
“Eberron” is also the name for the land of the world, and is also referred to as the Dragon Between. Siberys, the Dragon Above, is the name given to the planetary rings which surround the planet. Khyber, the Dragon Below, is the name given to the underworld, and is similar to the Underdark in many other settings. According to the creation story, the world was formed when the progenitor wyrms changed their form into what they are now. Siberys and Khyber fought, leading to Siberys’ body being broken into pieces. To stop Khyber, Eberron wrapped around him, and Siberys’ broken body became a ring around them both. Siberys created the dragons, Eberron created humanoids and other “lower races”, and Khyber created the “demons” of the world.
Taken from Wikipedia